Ad Radar
Facebook Click here to find out more!

Dodge Trucks - Why aren't they big in the custom scene?

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Dodge Trucks - Why aren't they big in the custom scene?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 51 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/24/06
02:33 AM

Why do you guys think Dodge trucks aren't more popular in the custom truck scene? Why haven't they caught on like Chevy and Ford?  

motorammetal02 motorammetal02
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/25/06
12:12 AM

i dont know, but i wist they would! then there would be more aftermarket access. to choose from. i hate how you can buy custom EVERYTHING for the ford and chevy (flame interior access) and hardly anything for dodge. IMO they have the best body style out of all the makes  

redhemiram redhemiram
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/28/06
03:25 AM

I completely agree.  Any parts fora dodge Ram have already been available for chevy and ford for 6 months.  If there were more dodge covers and articles, people would see that the dodge comunity would buy them.  

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 2616 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 10/10/06
12:33 PM

Perhas a lack of parts availability influences the amount of customization we see overall on Dodges... so maybe it would take MORE customization in order to necessitate MORE aftermarket parts, which would then increase overall numbers of custom dodges.
But that does mean there has to be a tide of custom Dodges in order to get the aftermarket world flowin' more.
And I agree, more dodge covers and articles would help.  

bowen bowen
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/10/06
02:20 PM

I have a customized Dodge, but I haven't let anyone do a cover article because of the interior. I am stuck and don't know how or what to use to customize a console for air controls, gauges and so on..If anyone knows any sites or materials I should be using please let me know.  

2lowdodge 2lowdodge
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/05/07
09:34 AM

does anyone know if i have to shorten my driveshaft after a 3/5 drop on my 98' 1500?  

66 Sub 66 Sub
User | Posts: 66 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 03/14/07
05:51 PM

I know it's not the most Politicaly Correct answer, but they have a television show dedicated to just this subject. It's on CMT I believe. Check your local listings for Trick My Truck, they specialize in customizing semi trucks. Braaap! Braaap! Come on good Buddy!
YEEEEEHAAAAWWW! Having a custom Dodge is like having the hottest chick in Weight Watchers. She's still a PIG!  

5569 5569
Posted: 04/13/07
04:52 PM

oh dang!!!! it's like that, huh? wow!

i think dodges that are done up and laid out look siiiiick, maybe because you don't see it that often.  

Thanos Ram 02 Thanos Ram 02
New User | Posts: 20 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/22/07
01:45 AM

It sucks writing this ***

1)Who does Dodge have at their disposal to pull various parts from? Ford and Chevy has pretty much integrated their parts and made them compatible with other models within their company.

Like for example, Chevy for the longest have been able to merge features with GMC until recently. And if that weren't enough, they have Cadillac, Pontiac and a few other makes and models to get ideals from. Ford has Lincoln and Mercury to pull parts from.

But Chrysler hasn't really done anything of the sort. The majority of their parts, at least from what I've notice, are model specific.

2) You really don't have a whole lot of engine options available to you with Dodge. Dodge was set back when they stopped developing the Original Hemi and Wedge equipped models. Ford and Chevy have been redeveloping and improving on their original designs for a long time now.

Yes, the Magnum held it's own for a long time til recently. But again, look at what they have available? Nobody made a mad rush to buy a 4.7 V8. Most waited for the "New Hemi" to come out. And even still, the 5.7 came under fire until the 6.1 showed up. But other than those 3 engines, there's not much to look forward to.

It seems that the options for engines tend to lead many potential customizers away from Dodge. With Chevy, you can go from a 454 to a ZZ572 and not think twice about how to make things fit correctly (at least in the hands of a talented customizer...). And likewise with Ford. and it's easier for them to make it smog legal if they have the know how.

3) Sadly, There aren't enough of the old guys out there with customized Dodge trucks to lead the way. Of all the points I've attempted to make here, I think this is the biggest of them all. Most of the older fans of Dodges seem to stick with the muscle cars. And truth told, I don't blame them one bit. I happen to like those old rides myself. But there's no comparison between Ford and Chevy owners, compared to Dodge owners in this regard.

I do happen to think that there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. Over the last couple of years, we've seen some newer Dodge Rams customized by owners with rather deep pockets. So it's not like nobody is trying.

One dodge that caught my attention a few months ago was this black and white Ram quad cab with a mural painted on it. It was taken during a show. I can't remember exactly which show it was. But it appeared to be sponsored by Audiobahn. Had a devious face on the side of it. Just pure evil looking. Hope you guys do a feature on it in the near future....

I've been working out different ideals for my Ram ('02 1500 QC) right now, and every time one of these guys show up in the magazine, I develop new ideals to work towards. Perhaps that's the E-ticket for inspiring Dodge owners? It won't come overnight, but the more we see featured Dodge trucks, the more curious customizers are going to think about building one. They can't keep building the same ol Chevy and Ford forever. Eventually, they're going to want to be different than the rest. Which is likely the reason why some of us own a Dodge in the first place.  
No copycats...

Posted: 09/22/07
06:35 AM

FYI: I found it. Spring Break Jam '07. I knew I wasn't going crazy.... Smirk Spring Break Jam 2007 Custom Dodge Ram  
No copycats...

rumble-bee rumble-bee
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/05/07
07:24 PM

new to site.does anyone like the rumble bee?have a yellow one i have been working on for a year.srt 10 spoiler,k/n cold air kit,flowmaster muffler,have done some custom painting on the inside of cab. Cool  

5569 5569
Posted: 10/09/07
02:08 PM

good stuff!!!

http://www.sporttruck.com/eventcoverage/0708st_spring_break_jam_2007/photo_19.html  

Posted: 10/13/07
09:35 PM

The Rumble Bee is alright. But I wished they had asked some of the old school Mopar crowd for some input on what made the Super Bee so special and used that as the template for the Rumble Bee. It was a great ideal, with not so great execution....

One thing I really like about the Rumble Bee however, is that it's just like any other sports truck that rolls of the assembly line, it's a blank canvas to create something even better. And it sounds like you're well on your way.  
No copycats...

5569 5569
Posted: 10/15/07
03:37 PM

I want to steal your avatar...quite ironic.  

STMIKE STMIKE
Enthusiast | Posts: 494 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 10/17/07
10:33 AM

new truck sales and the demographic of the buyers influence the aftermarket. For example, drop spindles get built for the newest trucks in order of sales. Dodge doesn't outsell Chevy in the truck category so Chevy owners get the spindles first.

Also, Dodge owners tend to be older and less likely to customize their trucks than Chevy owners so this is yet another reason why Chevy's get the aftermarket love first.

I'd love to see more Dodges get built but i understand the trickle down effect. There are fewer parts and it costs more to build a Dodge than a Chevy, Ford and as of late, a Toyota.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last