Facebook Click here to find out more!

1989 chevy half ton engine swap

Item Posts    Sort Order

1989 chevy half ton engine swap

lightninluke lightninluke
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/04/09
06:51 PM

what do i half to do to change engines. i want to put a 1988 350 sb and 700r trans into a 1989 chevy witch has a bad 4.3 and a three speed automatic. can i change engine and trans and computor easily thanks. ken s.  

kenneth.caratello kenneth.caratello
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/07/09
03:19 AM

The throttle body will work on it. The trans should work as the trans I have in mine is a non electronic type. I have an 1989 1/2 ton that I put in a new rebuilt motor from Advance Auto parts in it and then a year later, I removed the trans and had a shop do a rebuild on it with a new torque converter and a RV type shift kit to firm up the shifts without shifting too hard. I installed an auxillary trans cooler that also uses the cooler that is in the radiator. I have around 40k miles on it with no problems. The wiring harness should work other than needing the chip and PROM from a 350 computer. This is if it will be stock. There are 5 ground wires that are connected to the engine that must be all connected back to their locations. they operate things like the in-tank fuel pump, ECM etc..