Facebook Click here to find out more!

Column Shifter Trouble

Item Posts    Sort Order

Column Shifter Trouble

Devilhorse Devilhorse
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/12/09
06:24 AM

I just removed the I-6 and put in a 350 in my 1967 C10.  I reinstalled the original 3 speed transmission.  For the life of me, I cannot get the column shifter to work.  It is very tight.  The linkage is clear of everything.  When I un-hook the linkage, the transmission works fine by hand.  Any suggestions?  If not, what do I need to replace the column shifter with a floor shifter and how tough is it to do?  Thanks.  

tuckn22s tuckn22s
Moderator | Posts: 378 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/12/09
10:47 PM

Get a cable to replace the linkage ...maybe???? not too sure but if you are going to replace the shifter to a floor shifter they come with a cable so you shouldnt have any problems  
World Wide Air Suspension Store
CustomConnectionLLC.com
facebook.com/customconnection
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

Calin Calin
User | Posts: 151 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 03/16/09
03:20 PM

Sounds like things are in a bind. If you are working with all the same stuff you had other than the motor I'd say something was possibly reinstalled incorrectly. Kugel Komponents makes a cool shift rod to replace all that stuff. I've used it on every C10 I've built.

Check it out and I hope it helps
-Calin

Kugel Komponents
(562) 691-7006
www.kugelkomponents.com  

Calin Calin
User | Posts: 151 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 03/18/09
03:24 PM

Installing a floor shifter is pretty easy because almost all of them use a cable. Just make sure when you order a shifter like one from B&M, Hurst, or Lokar you get one that you can reach. Most shifters are made for cars with a closer seat to floor distance. Trucks the floor and seat are much further apart. So make sure to get one with a longer handle.

Once you have found a shifter you like installation will consist of drilling a hole for the cable to exit, screwing down the shifter assembly, routing the cable, and attaching two small brackets to the transmission.